Things happen, even when you are traveling. Whether you need to fix a flat tire, print out some photos, or get a prescription filled, West Yellowstone offers all the services you need while away from home.
- West Yellowstone Post Office is located at 209 Grizzly Ave., 406-646-7704
- Town Offices are located at 440 Yellowstone Ave., 406-646-7795
- Custer Gallatin National Forest, Hebgen Lake Ranger District is located at 330 Gallatin Rd., 406-823-6961
- Public Library is located at 23 N. Dunraven St., 406-646-9017
Kirkwood Resort & Marina
Jake’s Automotive & Tire
NAPA Auto Parts
Super Save Conoco
Traveler’s Service Center
Westgate Auto Body & Towing
Community Health Partners-West Yellowstone
West Yellowstone Back & Neck Clinic
Fox Den Images
Ken Takata Photography
Mike Polkowski Photography
Silver Cloud Photography
Big Sky Photography and Design
Misty Mountain Property, LLC
Montana Territorial Land Co.
Yellowstone Realty, LLC
Charter Spectrum (Cable TV)
Energy West -West Yellowstone
Fall River Electric
Fall River Propane
Two Seasons Recycling
West Yellowstone Transfer Station
L and L Site Services
From Bozeman, Montana
- Take US-191 S (approx. 90 miles)
- Google Directions
From Salt Lake City, Utah
- Take I-15 north to Idaho Falls, Idaho (119 miles)
- At exit 119, take ramp RIGHT to US-20 E
- Google Directions
From Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Take US-20 E (approx. 110 miles)
- Google Directions
From Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and Grand Teton National Park
- Take WY-22 W (17.1 miles) over Teton Pass into Idaho
- Stay on ID-33 heading northwest (23.9 miles)
- Turn RIGHT (north) onto ID-32 (28.4 miles) towards Ashton
- Remain on ID-32/ID-47 for one mile through the town of Ashton
- Then turn RIGHT (north) onto US-20 E (37 miles) to West Yellowstone (50 miles)
- Google Directions
Note: The west gate into Yellowstone National Park is open to regular auto travel in the summer months only, from mid-April through early November. Winter access is by commercially guided snowcoach or snowmobile only—no personal motor vehicles.
Yellowstone Airport (WYS)
Located just one mile north of West Yellowstone, the Yellowstone Airport is open June through September and is served by SkyWest Airlines (Delta Connection). It is open for private aviation from June 1st through November 30th, and from December 1st through May 31st with PPR. The Yellowstone Airport offers accurate weather forecasts; safe, nonmountainous approaches onto an 8000-foot-long runway; and an ILS landing system accommodating private aircraft from a single-engine Cessna to a Boeing 747. This airport is non-towered; however, the common traffic advisory frequency is 123.0. The airport is fully lighted for nighttime use with IFR lead-in and approach lighting as well. Car rentals are available on site.
Other area airports serving West Yellowstone year-round include Bozeman, Montana (90 miles north), and Idaho Falls, Idaho (110 miles south).
Traveling with Pets
Here in West Yellowstone, there are pet-friendly lodging properties that can be found by searching in the Sleep section. The Boundary Trail is also pet-friendly for skiing and hiking.
There are NO BOARDING FACILITIES available in West Yellowstone. The closest kennels are in Ennis, Belgrade, and Bozeman, Montana, or Idaho Falls, Idaho. You can also contact White & White Veterinary for possible arrangements prior to your arrival.
Pets are allowed in Yellowstone National Park, but there are strict guidelines you will need to follow. Pets are allowed in public areas, parking lots, and within 100 feet of any road. They must be on a leash that is no more than six feet in length at all times. Visitors are not allowed to tie their pets to trees or other objects and leave them unattended. Pet kennels cannot be left outside of vehicles.
Bus & Shuttle
- Bus and shuttle service is available from several operators for transfers to and from airports in Bozeman, Montana; Idaho Falls, Idaho; and Salt Lake City, Utah. Reservations are required and fees do apply. Local shuttles can also provide drop-offs from the West Yellowstone area to Yellowstone Park trailheads in the warm season and by snowcoach in the winter.
- Rental cars are available on a seasonal basis in West Yellowstone at multiple locations, including the Yellowstone Airport and in-town businesses.
- Taxi service is available year-round in West Yellowstone and to drop-off locations within Yellowstone Park. Reservations are required.
Vacation Planning / Tour & Travel Agencies
- West Yellowstone businesses offer tours throughout the year. Several can also help with planning that dream vacation.
- During the warm months, park-approved tour operators offer tours into Yellowstone Park and to the Grand Teton National Park/Jackson area. Guided winter tours into Yellowstone Park and the Custer Gallatin National Forest are offered via snowcoach or snowmobile. Learn more about guided tours.
Located at an elevation of 6,666 feet, mountain weather can be unpredictable. Summer average temperatures are in the 70s and 80s (F), with lows in the 40s and 50s (F). Winter temperatures can be among the coldest in the Lower 48, with highs in the 20s and 30s (F) during the day to below zero at night and ground that is covered with snow. In fall and spring, crisp mornings are frequently followed by cool, brilliant days.
What to Wear
- Layering clothes will help keep you comfortable all day. You should also have a water-resistant, windproof outer layer. Boots, hats, and gloves are a must for winter.
- Use turnouts to let others pass
- No littering. Never throw cigarettes out the window.
- Watch for wildlife on the road.
Winter: We have snow—be prepared!
- Roads can be snowpacked and icy. SLOW DOWN.
- Carry chains at all times from November through April.
- Keep your gas tank and windshield wiper fluid full.
- Keep air conditioning off to prevent overheating.
- Carry plenty of water with you.
Plan Your Gathering
Meetings & Weddings
Looking for a truly exceptional location for your next gathering? West Yellowstone offers lodging, meeting facilities, amenities, activities, and friendly, helpful people who will make your meeting, convention, or special event both fun and memorable.
Free Travel Planner
No matter the season, we can help you plan an unforgettable visit to West Yellowstone. Download our free travel guide to learn about activities, services, local tips, and more to make the most of your vacation. We’d love to share adventures with you!