West Yellowstone Weather and Roads (May 16-22, 2017):
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 54F. Low around 30F. Chance of showers.
- Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40F. Low around 29F. Rain/snow showers likely.
- Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45F. Low around 26F. Showers.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 50F. Low around 29F.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 55F. Low around 29F. Chance of showers.
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54F. Low around 32F. Chane of showers.
- Monday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56F. Low around 34F. Slight chance of showers.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
2017 Spring Road Opening Dates
- OPEN: West Entrance to Madison; Mammoth to Old Faithful; Norris to Canyon.
- OPEN: Canyon Junction to Lake; Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
- OPEN: Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), and South Entrance to West Thumb; Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 26: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- May 26: Beartooth Highway
- Norris to Mammoth: expect 30-minute delays between Roaring Mountain and the Indian Creek Campground beginning April 21, 2017. From June 1 to September 10, this section of road will be closed during the night (10 pm to 7 am). From September 10 to October 6, this section of road will be closed to all traffic (day and night). Norris and Indian Creek campgrounds will remain open.
- Canyon Area: the Brink of Upper Falls and Inspiration Point are closed for the season.
2017 Fall Closing Dates
- October 10: Beartooth Pass (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana); Dunraven Pass (Tower Fall to Canyon)
- November 6: All roads except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance close at 8:00 am
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 6-MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
2017-2018 Winter Oversnow (Snowmobile & Snowcoach) Opening Dates
- December 15: Conditions permitting, the park will open at 8 am to oversnow vehicles from Mammoth to Madison; Madison to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; from Old Faithful to West Thumb; from South to Lake Butte Overlook, from Canyon to Lake and from Canyon to Norris.
- December 22: Conditions permitting, East Entrance Road (from East to Lake Butte) will open at 8 am.