West Yellowstone Weather and Roads (Feb. 15, 2019 – Feb. 20, 2019):
- Friday: Snow. Cloudy with a high near 29F. Low around 10F.
- Saturday: Chance of snow. Mostly cloudy with a high near 22F. Low around 1F.
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 21F. Low around -5F.
- Monday: Partly sunny with a high near 18F. Low around -4F.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny with a high near 17F Low around 0.
- Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 18F. Low around 1F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
2018-2019 Winter Opening Dates:
Roads are open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach:
- West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to East Entrance.
YELLOWSTONE PARK ROADS
- OPEN: Gardiner to Mammoth, Mammoth to Tower, Tower to the Northeast Entrance.
- CLOSED: West Entrance to Madison, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon.
- CLOSED: Canyon Junction to Lake. East Entrance to Fishing Bridge (Sylvan Pass).
- CLOSED: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- CLOSED: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass) except in inclement weather.
- CLOSED: Beartooth Highway
November 5: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- Norris to Mammoth (Roaring Mountain to Apollinaris Spring area)
- June 1 to October 8: additional nightly closures from 10 pm to 7 am (excluding Friday and Saturday nights and holiday weekends*).
- Canyon Village Area
- 2018 season: some destinations unavailable as part of the Canyon Overlooks and Trails Restoration Project.
- Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)
- 2018 season: expect delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond (excluding holiday weekends*).
- October 15 to November 5: full closure of Fishing Bridge over the Yellowstone River. East Entrance Road will remain open to the point of construction on the east side of the bridge. However, people needing to travel through Yellowstone to Cody, Wyoming and beyond will need to use the Northeast Entrance during this closure.
- Mount Washburn
- Mount Washburn trails and trailheads are closed for the 2018 season due to construction projects.
Beartooth Highway (US-212)
- A construction zone between “Top of the World Store” and Long Lake includes sections of unpaved road: expect minor delays. Full night closures (10 pm to 8 am, Monday through Thursday night) begin August 6 for the remainder of the 2018 season.
*Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day weekends.
Check travel conditions:
- Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623)
- Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623)
- Idaho – 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1.
2018 Fall Closing Dates:
- October 9: Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 5: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 5-MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
Check travel conditions: