West Yellowstone Weather and Roads (Aug. 15-21, 2017):
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 65F. Low around 39F. Expect periods of showers.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72F. Low around 40F.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74F. Low around 40F.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 75F. Low around 40F.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 76F. Low around 40F.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75F. Low around 41F.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73F. Low around 40F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
Road Construction – Montana (Outside of YNP):
- US-20 – Mile Marker 0 to 9.4 Targhee Pass. Chip sealing is to begin on July 5th, 2017. EXPECT: Chip sealing activities; Delays up to 15 minutes; Loose Gravel; Reduced Speeds of 35 MPH; Pilot Cars; Traffic Control by Signal Lights; Flaggers.
- US-212 – Mile Marker 45 to 56.4 Beartooth Highway – approximately 12 miles south of Red Lodge to the WY State Line.Work is scheduled to resume on the evening of July 9th. The road will be closed each evening between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. The road will be OPEN Friday and Saturday nights. This work schedule is expected to be in place until August 18, 2017. All work will take place during the evening hour closures. There will be no restrictions when the gates open at 8 AM each morning. Travelers may encounter a milled surface and/or an abrupt edge where paving ended for that day. All paving is expected to be completed in time for the Bike Rally scheduled for July 14-16, 2017. Another important note for motorcycle traffic – there will be NO gravel surface as a result of this work.
- I-15 Idaho: Several bridge and resurfacing projects. Traffic reduced to one lane is some locations. Expect delays.
2017 Road Opening Dates
- OPEN: West Entrance to Madison; Mammoth to Old Faithful; Norris to Canyon.
- OPEN: Canyon Junction to Lake; Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
- OPEN: Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), and South Entrance to West Thumb; Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- OPEN: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- OPEN: Beartooth Highway
- Norris to Mammoth: expect 30-minute delays between Roaring Mountain and the Indian Creek Campground beginning April 21, 2017. From June 1 to September 10, this section of road will be closed during the night (10 pm to 7 am). From September 10 to October 6, this section of road will be closed to all traffic (day and night). Norris and Indian Creek campgrounds will remain open.
- Canyon Area: the Brink of Upper Falls and Inspiration Point are closed for the season.
2017 Fall Closing Dates
- October 10: Beartooth Pass (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana); Dunraven Pass (Tower Fall to Canyon)
- November 6: All roads except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance close at 8:00 am
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 6-MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
2017-2018 Winter Oversnow (Snowmobile & Snowcoach) Opening Dates
- December 15: Conditions permitting, the park will open at 8 am to oversnow vehicles from Mammoth to Madison; Madison to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; from Old Faithful to West Thumb; from South to Lake Butte Overlook, from Canyon to Lake and from Canyon to Norris.
- December 22: Conditions permitting, East Entrance Road (from East to Lake Butte) will open at 8 am.