Fall brings spectacular scenery and the annual elk mating season (rut) where huge bull elk battle for their harems with eerie echoing bugles across wide valleys. Cooler fall temperatures create spectacular photo opportunities at Old Faithful and other geysers in Yellowstone Park. It’s the best time of the year for mountain biking, road cycling, hiking, and photography in Yellowstone and the surrounding National Forests.
TOP REASONS TO VISIT WEST YELLOWSTONE THIS FALL:
- Fabulous and colorful scenery
- Wildlife – the annual elk mating season (rut) where huge bull elk battle for their harems with eerie echoing bugles across wide valleys.
- Spectacular photo opportunities at Old Faithful and other geysers in Yellowstone Park.
- Biking and Hiking in the surrounding National Forests.
- Heart of Fly-Fishing (or any fishing for that matter). Spawning runs of big brown and battling rainbow trout from Hebgen Lake up the Madison, Gallatin, and Firehole Rivers make West Yellowstone the prime fishing destination each fall earning the title as one of the “Top 10 Trout Towns in America” by Forbes Magazine.
- Rainy day fun with a visit to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. Meet the two wolf packs or different resident grizzly bears, observe the raptors, talk to a Naturalist, and check out the “Keeper Kids Program.” Next door is the movie, “Yellowstone,” playing daily at the Yellowstone Giant Screen Theater with a six story movie screen.
Whether you are looking to stay in a historic hotel, intimate bed & breakfast, cabin, or guest ranch West Yellowstone offers a wide variety of lodging options.
There are so many restaurants in the West Yellowstone area, you’re sure to find something to satisfy your every craving. Whether you are looking for good ‘ol home cookin’ from the Old West, or regional specialties, like elk, bison, and trout, the possibilities are endless.
- Yellowstone Park Fee Free Day/ Public Lands Day – Sept. 22
- Junior Smokejumpers Kid’s program (Yellowstone Nature Connection) – thru Sept. 30
- West Yellowstone-Old Faithful Cycle Tour – Sept. 29