West Yellowstone Weather and Roads (Sept. 17-22, 2018):
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 67F. Low around 34F.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 69F. Low around 33F.
- Wednesday: Chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Low around 31F.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 59F. Low around 31F.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 64F. Low around 33F.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64F. Low around 33F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
YELLOWSTONE PARK ROAD
- OPEN: West Entrance to Madison, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon.
- OPEN: East Entrance to Lake (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Junction to Lake.
- OPEN: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- OPEN: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- OPEN: Beartooth Highway
- Norris to Mammoth (Roaring Mountain to Apollinaris Spring area)
- June 1 to October 8: additional nightly closures from 10 pm to 7 am (excluding Friday and Saturday nights and holiday weekends*).
- Canyon Village Area
- 2018 season: some destinations unavailable as part of the Canyon Overlooks and Trails Restoration Project.
- Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)
- 2018 season: expect delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond (excluding holiday weekends*).
- October 15 to November 5: full closure of Fishing Bridge over the Yellowstone River. East Entrance Road will remain open to the point of construction on the east side of the bridge. However, people needing to travel through Yellowstone to Cody, Wyoming and beyond will need to use the Northeast Entrance during this closure.
- Mount Washburn
- Mount Washburn trails and trailheads are closed for the 2018 season due to construction projects.
Beartooth Highway (US-212)
- A construction zone between “Top of the World Store” and Long Lake includes sections of unpaved road: expect minor delays. Full night closures (10 pm to 8 am, Monday through Thursday night) begin August 6 for the remainder of the 2018 season.
*Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day weekends.
Check travel conditions:
- Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623)
- Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623)
- Idaho – 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1.
2018 Fall Closing Dates:
- October 9: Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 5: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 5-MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
2018-2019 Winter Opening Dates:
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
Check travel conditions: