West Yellowstone Weather & Roads
March 29, 2020 – April 4, 2020:
- Sunday: Snow possible. Partly cloudy with a high near 38F. Low around 23F.
- Monday: Snow possible. Partly cloudy with a high near 37F. Low around 26F.
- Tuesday: Snow possible. Partly cloudy with a high near 34F. Low around 14F.
- Wednesday: Snow possible. Partly cloudy with a high near 30F. Low around 10F.
- Thursday: Snow possible. Partly cloudy with a high near 30F. Low around 1F.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 31F. Low around 14F.
- Saturday: Snow possible. Mostly cloudy with a high near 35F. Low around 16F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
March 24, 2020 – Effective immediately, Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks are closed to all park visitors until further notice. There will be no visitor access permitted to either park. State highways and/or roads that transcend park/state boundaries and facilities that support life safety and commerce will remain open. Both parks will cooperate on the implementation of the closures. The parks will notify the public when they resume full operations and provide updates on their website and social media channels. Read the full press release here.
Yellowstone National Park’s website has up-to-date information on road openings, closings, and construction.
2019-2020 Yellowstone Closing Dates
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 5 – APRIL 16 (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
2020 Yellowstone Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates.
- Open Year-round: Gardiner to Cooke City, Montana; Mammoth Hot Springs to the Upper Terraces; and Highway 191 between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, Montana.
- April 17: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 1: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 8: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass).
- May 22: Canyon Village to Dunraven Pass / Chittenden Road.
- May 22: Beartooth Highway.
- June 5: Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- Closed until April 2022: Road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road.
2020 Yellowstone Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates.
- September: Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- October 13: Canyon (Dunraven Pass) to Chittenden Road, Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 2: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
Yellowstone Construction Projects Affecting Roads
Tower Fall to Chittenden Road
The road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road will be completely closed until April 2022. Specific areas on each side of this closure will be open for select time periods:
- On the Canyon Village side of the closure: The only way to access the peak of Mount Washburn during construction is via the Canyon Village side of the closure. The Mount Washburn trail and trailhead parking lot near Dunraven Pass will be open during construction. The Chittenden Road and parking area will be open from June through August, but this road and parking area will be closed at select time periods before Memorial Day and after Labor Day (dates to be determined).
- On the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure: Tower Fall, the Tower General Store, Tower Fall Campground, and Calcite Springs will be open and accessible from Tower-Roosevelt between June 5–September 6, 2020 and June 4–September 26, 2021. In the winters, Tower Fall and trails in the vicinity will be open for skis and snowshoes, snow-permitting, from early November through March. Between the following dates, traffic and pedestrians from Tower-Roosevelt will be turned around at Calcite Springs: April 1–June 5, 2020; September 6–November 7, 2020; April 1–June 4, 2021; and September 26–November 6, 2021. There will be no access to the trails for Mount Washburn from the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure.
Beginning in early summer, expect delays around the North Entrance. The entrance station will be open. More details, including dates, will be available after a construction contractor is selected. This project will start in 2020 and take two years.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond
From May 4 to October 30, 2020, expect delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond. This project will be completed in 2020.