West Yellowstone Weather & Roads
February 23, 2020 – February 29, 2020:
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 25F. Low around 1F.
- Monday: Snow possible. Mostly cloudy with a high near 27F. Low around -6F.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny with a high near 26F. Low around 3F.
- Wednesday: Snow possible. Mostly cloudy with a high near 27F. Low around 7F.
- Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 31F. Low around 8F.
- Friday: Partly cloudy with a high near 35F. Low around 7F.
- Saturday: Partly cloudy with a high near 37F. Low around 15F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
Yellowstone National Park’s website has up-to-date information on road openings, closings, and construction.
2019 Yellowstone Closing Date
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 5 – MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
2019-2020 Yellowstone Winter Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
- March 15: Over-the-snow season ends.
2020 Yellowstone Winter Closing Dates
Roads will close to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 9 pm on the following dates:
- March 1: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass) and Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris.
- March 3: Norris to Madison and Norris to Canyon Village.
- March 8: Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge.
- March 15: All remaining groomed roads close.
2020 Yellowstone Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates.
- Open Year-round: Gardiner to Cooke City, Montana; Mammoth Hot Springs to the Upper Terraces; and Highway 191 between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, Montana.
- April 17: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 1: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 8: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass).
- May 22: Canyon Village to Dunraven Pass / Chittenden Road.
- May 22: Beartooth Highway.
- June 5: Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- Closed until April 2022: Road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road.
2020 Yellowstone Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates.
- September: Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- October 13: Canyon (Dunraven Pass) to Chittenden Road, Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 2: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
Yellowstone Construction Projects Affecting Roads
Tower Fall to Chittenden Road
The road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road will be completely closed until April 2022. Specific areas on each side of this closure will be open for select time periods:
- On the Canyon Village side of the closure: The only way to access the peak of Mount Washburn during construction is via the Canyon Village side of the closure. The Mount Washburn trail and trailhead parking lot near Dunraven Pass will be open during construction. The Chittenden Road and parking area will be open from June through August, but this road and parking area will be closed at select time periods before Memorial Day and after Labor Day (dates to be determined).
- On the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure: Tower Fall, the Tower General Store, Tower Fall Campground, and Calcite Springs will be open and accessible from Tower-Roosevelt between June 5–September 6, 2020 and June 4–September 26, 2021. In the winters, Tower Fall and trails in the vicinity will be open for skis and snowshoes, snow-permitting, from early November through March. Between the following dates, traffic and pedestrians from Tower-Roosevelt will be turned around at Calcite Springs: April 1–June 5, 2020; September 6–November 7, 2020; April 1–June 4, 2021; and September 26–November 6, 2021. There will be no access to the trails for Mount Washburn from the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure.
Beginning in early summer, expect delays around the North Entrance. The entrance station will be open. More details, including dates, will be available after a construction contractor is selected. This project will start in 2020 and take two years.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond
From May 4 to October 30, 2020, expect delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond. This project will be completed in 2020.