West Yellowstone Weather & Roads
October 15, 2019 – October 20, 2019:
- Tuesday: Sunny with a high near 48F. Low around 25F.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny with a high near 56F. Low around 27F.
- Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 48F. Low around 23F.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 41F. Low around 21F.
- Saturday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 37F. Low around 16F.
- Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 33F. Low around 13F.
Changing weather conditions exist. Be prepared when traveling through Yellowstone Country.
2019 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2019 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- April 19: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 3 : East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 10: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 24: Tower Fall to Canyon Village (Dunraven Pass)
- May 24: Beartooth Highway
2019 Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2019 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- October 15: Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 4: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
2019-2020 Winter Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
Canyon Village Area
- 2019 season: some destinations unavailable as part of the Canyon Overlooks and Trails Restoration Project.
- Until August 30: Brink of the Upper Falls Road and Overlook closed to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)
- 2019 season (starting May 6): expect 30-minute delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond (excluding holidays*).
Norris to Mammoth
- April 15 to August 30: expect 30-minute delays between Roaring Mountain and Apollinaris Spring (excluding holidays*).
*Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
Check travel conditions:
- Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623)
- Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623)
- Idaho – 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1.
2019 Fall Closing Dates:
- October 9: Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 5: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- NO WHEELED VEHICLES ARE PERMITTED FROM NOV. 5-MID APRIL (except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance by permit only)
Check travel conditions: